This is the only programme in Hong Kong that integrates applied knowledge and skills in accounting and finance to train professionals who will be at home in both fields. The programme emphasizes real, practical international cases. Students acquire an in-depth understanding of and updated knowledge in both accounting and finance. This makes the programme suitable not only for accounting and finance professionals, but also for managers and executives in other business areas.
Enhance and Broaden Knowledge in Professional Accountancy and Finance
- To provide an opportunity for Business Managers, Professionals, and Senior Executives to develop their analytical, judgmental, and conceptual minds;
- To enhance students’ understanding of the state-of-the-art knowledge in accounting and finance;
- To equip students with the solid accounting and finance knowledge and practical skills needed for managing their organizations;
- To prepare students to advance further in their professional careers, or to continue their studies in the relevant fields, and
- To facilitate students to prepare for relevant professional qualification examinations.
LG1: Students will have the knowledge in contemporary accounting and have related problem solving skills supported by accounting theories.
LG2: Students will have the knowledge in contemporary finance and have related problem solving skills supported by finance theories.
LG3: Students will enhance their analytical and critical thinking skills through integrating acquired accounting and finance knowledge with rational decision making in the fields of accounting and finance.
LG4: Students will explain the key issues and increase awareness of the ethical and professional responsibilities of the accounting and finance profession under a changing environment.
The programme has been included in the list of reimbursable courses for CEF purposes.
- ACCT7210 Advanced Corporate Financial Reporting
- ACCT7220 Strategic Management Accounting and Controls
- ACCT7230 Issues on Internal and External Auditing
- ACCT7240 Accounting Theory and Policy
- FIN7210 Corporate Finance
- FIN7220 Investment and Portfolio Analysis
- FIN7230 Financial Strategy
- FIN7260 Financial Statement Analysis and Business Valuation
- ACCT7270 Corporate Governance and Disclosures (Elective)
- ACCT7870 Financial Regulations and Compliance (Elective)
- ACCT7880 Governance, Leadership and Ethics (Elective)
- ACCT7910 Hong Kong and International Taxation (Elective)
- ACCT7920 Commercial and Company Law (Elective)
- FIN7240 Derivative Securities and Risk Management (Elective)
- FIN7750 Financial Technology (FinTech) (Elective)
- ISEM7210 Business Processes and Infomration Management (Elective)
- ACCT7280 Independent Study/Integrative Project (in Accounting) (Elective)* / FIN7280 Independent Study/Integrative Project (in Finance) (Elective)*
- BUS7510 MScAAF Seminars and Workshops
*The independent studies/integrated project can only be selected to replace an elective course under special circumstance and advance approval is required.
Please note that the elective course will be opened with at least 12 students enrolled.
The assessment methods of the programme follow the Grade Point Average (GPA) System set by Hong Kong Baptist University to assess coursework and examination performance. Besides the requirement of a final written examination, continuous coursework assessment which includes interim tests and quizzes, case studies, individual and group presentations, term projects and hands-on simulated exercises will be used to optimize successful learning.
Criteria for Progression or Award
Students with a trimester GPA below 2.20 will be put on academic probation and official warning will be given to those students who have obtained cumulative GPA of 2.20 to 2.49. Students who have successfully fulfilled the programme requirements with an average cumulative GPA 2.5 or above will be awarded the degree of the Master of Science in Applied Accounting and Finance. Students who have obtained cumulative GPA of 3.40 to 3.66 will be awarded the degree with merit and those students with cumulative GPA of 3.67 and above will be awarded the degree with distinction.
Applicants should possess:
- a Bachelor's degree with honours in Business from a recognized university or comparable institution, or a professional qualification deemed to be equivalent (e.g., a professional qualification in accounting or finance field such as CPA/ACCA from designated accounting bodies, CFA from Institute of Certified Financial Analysts, CMA from Institute of Management Accountants, etc.); OR
- a Bachelor's degree in other disciplines with relevant experience and/or training in Accounting, Finance, Management or related fields;
- full-time mode applicants are required to provide a satisfactory score on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT); OR
- part-time mode applicants are required to have a minimum three years of relevant working experience;
Proof of English proficiency is required for applicants whose first degrees were obtained from non-English-medium institutions. A minimum IELTS overall band score of 6.5 or TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based) / 79 (internet-based) or the equivalent score of other tests is normally required for those applicants.
Short-list qualified applicants would be invited to attend an admission interview as part of the selection process.
Students with non-Business degree and lack basic training/experience in Accounting, Finance or related fields may also be qualified, conditional to a make-up of the accounting and finance fundamentals through an intensive foundation course at their extra cost or the guided self-study before the commence of the MScAAF.
International Postgraduate Scholarship
To enhance internationalization and provide students with a global educational experience, the International Postgraduate Scholarship is offered to outstanding international students. Scholarship recipients will get full tuition waiver plus HK$100,000 living allowance (approx. US$12,820). Eligible international applicants will be automatically considered for the scholarship based on their all-round record and interview performance. For details of the scholarship scheme, please click here.
Diversity Contribution Scholarship
We believe that diversity inspires new thinking, fosters greater understanding and enriches the learning experience. The Diversity Contribution Scholarship is attributed to new entrants who can enhance the diversity of the programme. Applicants are assessed on a broad range of criteria, including international exposure, cultural experiences, overseas education, work experience, special achievement and talents. The scholarship amount ranges from half tuition waiver to full tuition waiver.
Entrance Scholarship / Young Talent Scholarship (for full-time applicants only)
These Scholarships, range from HK$80,000 to HK$20,000, will be provided to students with outstanding academic backgrounds and public examination results. Applicants will be considered for the scholarships automatically. For the Entrance Scholarship, applicants who submit completed applications before the deadline of the first round admission will be considered.
Excellence Academic Performance Award
Student(s) who obtain the highest cGPA in the class will be awarded at the time of graduation.
About the School
For more than half a century, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) has been at the vanguard of business education in Asia, molding generations of business leaders. Steeped in a tradition of academic ex ... Read More