Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Graphic Design Academy of Art University
With its focused thesis development process, the School of Graphic Design’s MFA program emphasizes the advanced study of the field and encourages students to extend their design skills into content creation, authorship, entrepreneurialism, and social innovation.
|Graduate Liberal Arts||12|
MFA Graphic Design Degree Requirements
- Successful completion of Final Thesis Project
- A minimum grade of C in all required 63 units
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and the following Academic Study requirements:
- 1 Art Historical Awareness & Aesthetic course
- 1 Cross-Cultural Understanding course
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Critical & Creative Thinking
- Conduct appropriate research to identify problems and potential solutions
- Initiate appropriate level of audience involvement and participation
- Demonstrate the resourcefulness and flexibility necessary to conceive and execute design solutions
- Create compelling and engaging visual communications that convey appropriate messages and ideas
- Address problems through a design process
- Develop design solutions that function effectively within a defined context (social, cultural, technological, economic, etc.)
- Create visual communications demonstrating competent formal design skills which include: hierarchy, typography, aesthetics, composition, and construction of meaningful images
- Demonstrate competence in media, materials, tools, technology, and techniques
- Demonstrate sound organization and design project management skills
- Effectively present and communicate ideas
- Demonstrate the skills necessary for chosen career path through the presentation of a competent body of work
MFA Thesis Project
- Produce a comprehensive graduate thesis project that successfully utilizes design to solve an identified problem
- Propose a graduate thesis project that identifies a problem, and has the potential for successful development using design
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.
- GLA 615: History of Graphic Design
- GR 616: Making Ideas Visible
- GR 617: Type Forms
- GLA 603: Anthropology: Experiencing Culture
- GR 618: Visual Literacy
- GR 619: Type Composition
- GLA 612: Writing & Research for the Master's Student
- GR 601: Type Systems
- GR 620: Visual Thinking
- GR 600: Visual Communications Lab
- GR 605: Digital Design Studio 1
- GR 613: Type Experiments
- GR 612: Integrated Communications - Message Synthesis
- GR 800: Directed Study
- GR 810: Thesis
- GR 604: The Nature of Identity
- GR 830: Thesis 2 - Exploration
- GR 900: Internship
- GLA 676: Professional Practices for Designers & Advertisers
- GR 850: Thesis 3 - Refinement
- GR 875: Design Seminar/Portfolio
Program Tuition Fee
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.