MSc Supply Chain Management Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham
Be part of the next generation of senior supply chain specialists and leaders with our forward-thinking Supply Chain Management MSc.
Today’s supply chains are increasingly being relied upon to respond to our every need. They must be resilient in the face of unexpected change and transformative in response to new paradigm shifts and technologies, whilst also being managed responsibly and sustainably.
Achieving this requires supply chain specialists and leaders who have a particular blend of knowledge and skills that make them future-ready.
The Supply Chain Management MSc at the University of Birmingham seeks to do exactly that. It has been designed with industry experts to help you succeed in your career and play a key and transformational role in the future of supply chain management.
Why study this course at Birmingham?
- You will be part of a small cohort on this focused, specialist programme, allowing you to develop a closer relationship with experts, staff, and fellow students.
- You will have the opportunity to work on real projects as part of a summer internship or to undertake a traditional dissertation.
- You will experience a global education with an international trip to our Dubai campus. This will offer you a unique cross-campus international experience, working with students, academics, and industry professionals in the city of Dubai, a global logistics hub. This is a great opportunity to work across diverse cultures and business contexts.
- You can take part in our new Supply Chain Management Professionals Programme, which is exclusive to students on this course.
- This course focuses on real-world challenges with an emphasis on ethics and sustainability alongside digital supply chains and supply chain analytics, presenting an array of possibilities for graduates.
- Birmingham is the second-largest city in the UK and sits within the Midlands ‘Golden Triangle’ - a major supply chain hub renowned for its high density of distribution facilities and home to some of the biggest names in manufacturing, retail and service. Our strong relationships with a diverse range of key employers including Jaguar Land Rover, DHL, DPD and major retail give you the chance to meet and network with leading local and global organisations.
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for graduates from a range of backgrounds who seek a career in this field, as well as those with work experience in supply chains who seek further career development and professional accreditation, such as:
- Recent undergraduates looking to specialise in supply chain or logistics;
- Supply chain or logistics professionals seeking to further develop their skills and obtain a qualification which reflects their experience;
- Other business professionals with relevant experience wishing to use the qualification to transition into a supply chain or logistic role.
Unless indicated otherwise the modules listed for this programme are for students starting in 2023.
You must take the following modules which are worth 20 credits each.
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Building Sustainable, Ethical and Resilient Supply Chains
- Procurement, Contracting and Supplier Management
- Digital Transformation and Supply Chain Analytics
- Supply Chain Design and Performance Management
- Research and Analysis in Supply Chain Management
Choose one of the following:
- Global Supply Chains and International Risk Management (20 credits) OR
- Supply Chain Technology and Innovation (20 credits)
Choose one of the following:
- Research Project Dissertation (40 credits) OR
- Company Project (40 credits)
Please note: The modules listed here for this programme are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by the latest research and teaching methods. On rare occasions, we may need to make unexpected changes to compulsory modules; in this event, we will contact offer holders as soon as possible to inform or consult them as appropriate.
Excellent career prospects
Supply Chain Management skills are in great demand and as a result, this is an attractive profession with higher-than-average typical salaries. Graduates will leave Birmingham perfectly placed to take up key supply chain executive and management roles across a range of businesses, including manufacturing, retail and service. We also provide ongoing career support for international students who wish to work in the UK after graduation.
Top jobs in Supply Chain Management include:
- Supply Chain Manager
- Operations Manager
- Supply Chain Analyst
- Sourcing Manager
- Procurement Manager
- Inventory Controller
- Transportation Planner
This postgraduate course is also a great first step towards doctoral research in supply chain management for those wishing to pursue a career in academia.
Strong industry links
Birmingham is the second-largest city in the UK and sits within the so-called ‘Golden Triangle’, the most desirable location in the UK for business and home to major supply chain hubs. Our ever-growing relationship with key employers such as Jaguar Land Rover, large supermarkets and companies such as DPD and DHL will provide you with the opportunity to meet and network with leading global organisations.