The National Institute of Cardiology was inaugurated on April 18, 1944, with the progressive vision of its founder, Dr. Ignacio Chávez, who described its purpose as “… a Center that was something more than a hospital for cardiac patients, a Center that was at the same time a hospital, a research laboratory, a school and an instrument of social and human help. "
Since its inception, the Institute fully fulfilled this promise and gained international recognition for its research and training of specialists. Likewise, he won the hearts of Mexicans for the quality and benevolence of the medical care he provides.
By presidential decree, from March 13, 1979, the Institute changed its name to the Ignacio Chávez National Institute of Cardiology as a well-deserved tribute to its founder.
Today, the Institute continues to produce original and significant scientific research and technological innovation at the level of basic and clinical sciences in the fields of cardiology, cardioneumology, nephrology and rheumatology. It is the center that trains the largest number of cardiovascular specialists, who, due to their academic level and professional ethics, uphold the name of the Institute. It is a reference center to provide third-level medical care, mainly to patients who lack social security.
To fulfill its objective, around 2,500 people work at the Institute coordinated by five Directorates (Medical, Nursing, Education, Research and Administration).
Relieve cardiovascular disease through transcendent scientific research, higher professional education and modern medical care with a humanitarian quality.