The Federal University of Ceará is an autarchy linked to the Ministry of Education. It was born as a result of a broad movement of public opinion. It was created by Law No. 2,373, on December 16, 1954, and installed on June 25 of the following year.
In the beginning, under the direction of its founder, Prof. Antônio Martins Filho, was constituted by the School of Agronomy, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Medicine, and Faculty of Pharmacy and Dentistry.
Headquartered in Fortaleza, capital of the State, UFC is an arm of the Higher Education system of Ceará, and its performance is based on the entire Ceará territory, in order to meet the different scales of society's demands.
The University is made up of seven campuses, called Benfica Campus, Pici Campus, and Porangabuçu Campus, all located in the city of Fortaleza (headquarters of UFC), in addition to the Sobral Campus, Quixadá Campus, Crateús Campus, and Russas Campus.
The Federal University of Ceará, which has been committed to serving the region for more than 65 years, without forgetting the universal character of its production, arrives today with practically all areas of knowledge represented on its campuses.