MSc in Applied Economics (MScAECON) Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) School of Business
The Master of Science in Applied Economics (MScAEcon) is a one-year full-time programme that equips students with economics knowledge to analyze the changing world economy.
The programme integrates economic theory with applied economic analysis and will enable students to understand the economy of China and the world. The curriculum is designed to provide students with the flexibility of choosing electives for pursuing a career in applied economics or future research-oriented studies. Graduates will be equipped with analytical skills and techniques for analyzing business and real-world problems from an economic perspective. Our graduates are trained to be competent economic analysts in business corporations, public organizations and financial institutions. Outstanding students are offered scholarships and merit-based awards.
Our programme provides students with local experience through firm visits, guest lectures by business professionals and government officials enhancing our students’ understanding of the operation of the corporation in relation to knowledge learned. In past years, we have arranged firm visits to Cathay Pacific, DHL, Hong Kong Trade Development Council, BCT Financial Limited and Modern Terminals as well as invited professionals from Bank of China (HK), Nomura International, the Government of HKSAR and Royal Bank of Canada to give a lecture to our students.
- Strong Academic Network: Renowned faculty members from top universities around the world are invited to deliver guest lectures and seminars to students.
- Solid Industry Connections: Firm visits and workshops are organised regularly for students to foster a closer link with the business communities.
- Opportunity to Work in Hong Kong: Non-Hong Kong graduates of the programme can apply to stay and work in Hong Kong for 12 months after graduation, no matter they have been secured an offer of employment or not.
- Practical Business-oriented Curriculum: The curriculum consists of practical components in different aspects covering risk management, corporate finance, the economics of digital markets and big data analytics.
Why MSCAEcon at HKBU?
- A balanced training in advanced economic knowledge and applied economics analyses
- An understanding of the Chinese economy from a global perspective
- Application of analytical techniques on real-world business and policy issues
- Provision of opportunities to choose between professional career development and academic pursuit
Catering Needs of Students with Different Pursuits
- Separate study paths are available for students to choose between professional career development and academic pursuit
- Professional Career Development: Competent economic and business analysts in banking, financial institutions, and other commercial sectors, as well as public institutions
- Academic Pursuit: Further study at a PhD level in economics and other fields
Diversified Learning Environment
- Cohort mix of international, Hong Kong local and Mainland students
- Opportunity for firm visits
- Attending talks/lectures provided by business professionals and government officials
- An option of overseas field study as one of the elective courses
- International Postgraduate Scholarship for international students (full tuition fee waiver and living allowance)
- Entrance Scholarships up to full tuition fee waiver for all applicants
- Merit-based Awards upon graduation
- Knowledge: Students will acquire advanced knowledge for analysing economic issues.
- Analysis: Students will be able to analyse the economic behaviour of various agents and institutions in the economy.
- Application: Students will be able to apply theories to analyse real-world problems.
- Research: Students will be able to apply economic theories and empirical methods in applied economic research.
- The programme is made up of courses oriented toward three core elements: economics knowledge and theories, applied analyses and the Chinese economy
- 4 cores + 6 electives
- 2 regular semesters with one intensive summer term
- NOTE: For the Summer Term, students can opt for participating in a field study course with a designated elective course to meet the 6 units requirement.
One of the elective courses of our programme, “Business Economics Field Study”, aims at providing students overseas exposure to understanding and examining economic or/and business environment. The site visit at the chosen location(s) lasts up to 3 weeks. With respect to the location(s) of the field trip, students are required to do the groundwork regarding the economic and business situation before setting off. During the field trip, by means of company/institution visits, seminars and workshops, and talks by professionals, students would have a thorough understanding of particular industrial/business sectors or/and an overall view of the economy. After the field trip, students work as a group in performing economic analyses based on the overseas exposure provided. Course instructor(s) will provide feedback on the presentation of the report submitted by the students.
Scholarships and Funding
Entrance scholarships will be offered each year for the most outstanding applicants.
- For international applicants, they can be considered for the International Postgraduate Scholarship with a waive of full-year tuition fee and provision of living allowance of HK$100,000.
- For mainland and local students, scholarships would be granted up to an amount equivalent to a full year tuition fee on the basis of pursuing lifelong learning and academic performance.
- Merit-based awards will be given to the most outstanding students in the Programme at the time of graduation.
International Postgraduate Scholarships (IPS)
The International Postgraduate Scholarship (IPS) scheme at the HKBU School of Business is a global initiative designed to nurture future business leaders, bringing together highly-talented and intellectually-motivated students from around the world to one of our selected taught postgraduate programmes. Although these young achievers come from diverse backgrounds, they have all demonstrated leadership potential and have a common interest in making a difference in the world.
Competition for scholarships increases as the year progresses, so we recommend starting your application early.
This programme is designed for students who want to become a competent applied economists or potential theoretical researchers.
- The programme offers applied economic courses in Hong Kong. These courses will analyze the relevant areas using the latest economic models. The programme curriculum also consists of courses for analyzing the Chinese economy, which is the current focus of the world.
- Although we expect that most students entering into this programme are applied oriented, this programme is also well structured to provide students the flexibility of choosing appropriate electives to cater for future research oriented studies.
Professional career development advice is offered to full-time business students by the Career Services Section of School of Business.
- Recruitment talks
- Job Search Skills workshop
- Career Advice and Counselling Service