Media and Journalism MA
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
12 - 24 months
Full time, Part time
GBP 22,800 / per year *
Earliest start date
* international students; GBP 9,900 - home students full-time; GBP 4,950 - home students part-time per year;
Post Graduate Virtual Open Day - May 17th
Join our experts and discover your future with Newcastle University
This research-focused Media and Journalism MA develops your cultural understanding, and critical analysis. It introduces the content production skills needed for global media industries.
The Media and Journalism MA is designed for new graduates and experienced journalists. If you're planning a career in journalism and related occupations, or to progress to a PhD, this course is for you.
It provides an international context and is suitable for students from across the globe.
The course is flexible and you can tailor it towards professional media and journalism practice or academic engagement. You don't need a media background to join this course.
You'll have the opportunity to learn alongside and collaborate with professional journalists.
We work with a range of organisations to support high-quality journalism. You'll hear from and work with experts and innovators and explore advances in journalism. You'll have the opportunity to experiment and develop new ways to do journalism.
You'll also work with internationally renowned academics in media, culture, and journalism studies.
You can take part in projects to expand your knowledge and skills. This includes our Civic Journalism Lab collaboration with the BBC.
- 1st in the UK and 8th in the world for sustainable development – Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2022
- 42% of our research is classified as 4* world-leading research – Research Excellence Framework 2021
- 65% increase in research power since 2014 – Research Excellence Framework 2021
- Global Top 125 University - QS World University Rankings 2023
- Global Top 140 University - Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023
What you'll learn
This journalism master's covers key areas of knowledge and professional practice which reflect the way journalists work today. However, journalism’s role in society, how we do journalism, and careers in journalism are constantly transforming.
This course is designed to be a ‘laboratory of inquiry’. It prepares you to negotiate these changes, as you progress through your career in journalism, media or professional communication. It also prepares you for further doctoral study and a career in research and academia.
Semester 1 focuses on the understanding of media in regional, national and global contexts. Through independent research, you develop a theoretical, critical and methodological understanding of the field. You'll begin to consider your own areas of interest and expertise. You'll also apply this understanding to creative projects. This advances your skills in multimedia journalism production.
Semester 2 focuses on individuality and creativity. You'll choose the knowledge, research and journalistic skills you want to develop further. You'll work with a research supervisor to begin producing a dissertation. You'll select optional modules that complement this process and work holistically to advance your expertise.
In Semester 3, you're immersed in advanced research practice. Working with your research supervisor, you finalise your dissertation.
- Researching Media, Journalism and Communications 20
- Multimedia Journalism 1: Newsgathering, Production and Dissemination 20
- Media Analysis 20
- Dissertation for MA Media and Journalism 60
- Freelancing in Media and Communications 20
- Journalism and Celebrity 20
- Multimedia Journalism 2: Global Innovation 20
- Professional Subediting & Design 20
- International Media and Law (Semester 2) 20
- Representations: feminism, race and intersectionality 20
- Cultures of Data Visualization 20
- News and Journalism 20
- Power, Politics and Communication 20
This Media and Journalism MA provides a route into PhD level study.
This journalism master's prepares you for a career in journalism and related occupations.