Master in Applied Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
University of Bucharest
Earliest start date
ABMB Master Program is currently conducted in the Faculty of Biology, University of Bucharest only for foreign students and it is coordinated by the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (DBBM). This program was accredited by ARACIS in 2013.
ABMB Master Program is approved and recognized by the Order of Biologists and Biochemists from Romania (OBBCSSR) and thus it allows the graduates to be employed in medical laboratories.
Program Coordinators: Prof Dr. Anca Dinischiotu, Prof. Dr. Marieta Costache
ABMB Master Program aims to provide excellence in both education and scientific research and to offer future graduates appropriate professional skills and abilities in order to ease their access on the labor market in Romania and the European Union.
ABMB Master Program targets the following general objectives, relying on the proposed curriculum:
- to provide an ideal framework for studying and for further understanding the advanced concepts of biochemistry and molecular biology gained during bachelor studies;
- to strengthen the gained knowledge and to develop interdisciplinary and integrative abilities in order to prepare competent professionals to solve problems in the field of applied biochemistry and molecular biology;
- to acquire knowledge and skills required to understand the principles and use of modern methods and techniques of biochemistry and molecular biology in laboratories;
- to acquire the skills necessary for the collection, analysis and interpretation of data from various alternative sources and literature in the field; to formulate arguments, decisions and concrete actions;
- to develop research thinking and abilities in graduate students;
- to develop cognitive skills used for processing experimental data and interpretation;
- a continuous readjustment of this form of education to the real needs of society by adopting a flexible curriculum in line with the modern requirements.
In addition to all these general objectives, the specific objectives are mentioned in the description corresponding to each subject.
Type of education
continuous education (daily frequency)
Number of available places
4 semesters, out of which 3 are dedicated for courses and learning and 1 for the achievement of the Final Master Thesis (Dissertation)
- the ability to apply modern investigative methods and techniques specific for biochemistry and molecular biology;
- the assimilation of the principles and rules for organizing and working in specialized laboratories;
- the ability to evaluate, analyze and develop studies, professional reports and scientific articles;
- the ability to lead working groups, to communicate in diverse contexts and to make relevant decisions;
- the ability to integrate in research groups and to perform team work;
- the capacity to organize and apply the protocols required to support research activities.
The graduates of ABMB Master Program can continue their carriers in the following areas, upon completion of their studies:
- to continue their studies by doctoral and post-doctoral research and focus their carriers on research activity;
- to work as specialists in bio-medical laboratories (clinical laboratories , genetic and molecular diagnostic laboratories, forensic laboratories, laboratories and clinics artificial insemination stem cell laboratories in the foodservice industry, etc);
- to work in laboratories related to ecology and environment protection, water treatment, biotechnology laboratories;
- to work in private companies specialized in selling laboratory equipment, reagents and kits.
This program addresses to foreign students, who obtained their bachelor (BSc) degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnologies, Medicine, Ecology, Chemistry, Veterinary medicine, Pharmacy, Food Control and Expertise, etc.