Master in Physical exercise and health
University of Evora
EUR 1,500 / per year *
Earliest start date
* international students 2500€ ; international students with cooperation and development grants: 1700€
This Master's aim is to train specialist technicians, who are able to respond adequately to the different needs that are associated with physical exercise and its implications in health and welfare. Thus, a Master in Exercise and Health has the following objectives:
- Offer expertise in the area of Exercise and Health
- Deepening the theoretical and practical knowledge of the relationship between exercise, health, and healthy lifestyles.
- Respond effectively to an increasingly urgent need for definite and specialized training in assessment, exercise prescription for different target populations (healthy and patients with different diseases), the implementation of exercise programs, and monitoring of these programs.
Organic Unit: Escola de Saúde e Desenvolvimento Humano
Duration: 4 Semesters/120 ECTS credits (72 required and 0 optional in curricular units)
Language: Portuguese, English, Spanish
Regime: Day classes
Unique selling points:
The University of Évora is a transdisciplinary university that is constantly updating its courses, offers optimal conditions for studying and conducting research, and courses in all knowledge areas: Fine Arts, Social Sciences, Science and Technology, Health and Human Development, and also Nursing. At UÉ is promoted a unique teaching-learning dynamic that results from the fusion of theoretical and practical knowledge, motivating all student body and academic staff to explore their skills, and putting to their disposal the necessary infrastructure to foster scientific research and innovation.
The University of Évora is the second oldest in the country, founded in 1559, and has a vast list of graduate, master, and doctoral courses. We are located in south Portugal, near Lisbon, the capital of the country, but also very close to the Algarve where you can enjoy amazing beaches. The University of Évora does not have a university campus per se. The city of Évora is your campus, all the buildings where you will have classes are scattered from the center to the outskirts of the city. Being part of the University of Évora is to belong to a family with a strong academic spirit and a firm connection to the enhancement of the resources that the region offers.
Are students allowed to work while studying?
There is no barrier to students being able to combine their academic path with a job. In fact, the University of Évora has its own special regime for working students.
Scholarships and Funding
The University of Évora supports students in their integration and throughout their academic journey, ensuring academic and social inclusion through multidisciplinary teams who provide individual, social, psychological and psycho-pedagogical support, including special educational needs. UÉ’s services and departments, in particular the Social Action and Academic Services Departments, are dedicated to assisting students and several mechanisms and programmes have been implemented to help students overcome any obstacles they may face during their time at UÉ.
Prizes and Scholarships
- Merit scholarships
- Excellence Award
- International Students-Merit Scholorship
- International Students-Development and Cooperation Grants
- Eugénio de Almeida Alumni Merit Award
- Santander Universities Scholorship
- Joana Vasconcelos Scholorship
- Santa Casa da Misericórdia de Évora Academic Excellence Award
- Peter Vogelaere Scholorship
1st Year - 1st Semester
- Exercise Physiology
- Research Methods and Data Analysis in Health Sciences
- Nutritional Supplements and Doping
- Benefits of Physical Activity in Health
- Training Methods and Short and Long-term Effects
- The Labour Market and Legal Aspects in Physical Activity and Health
- Sports Medicine
1st Year - 2nd Semester
- Functional Assessment Protocols
- Exercise Biomechanics
- Fundamentals of Exercise Prescription
- Physiology and Exercise Prescription for the Elderly
- Physiology and Female Physical Activity Programmes
- Physiopathology and Exercise Prescription for Patients with Central Nervous System Disorders
- Physiopathology and Exercise Prescription for Patients with Cardiovascular Pathologies
- Physiopathology and Exercise Prescription for Patients with Neuromuscular Diseases
2nd Year- 3rd Semester
- Physiopathology and Exercise Prescription for Patients with Osteoarticular Diseases
- Physiopathology and Exercise Prescription for Patients with Respiratory Diseases
- Physiopathology and Exercise Prescription for Patients with Metabolic Diseases
- Physiopathology and prescription of exercise in people with HIV and Cancer
2nd Year- 4th Semester
Program Tuition Fee
The Master's Degree aims to train specialist technicians who are capable of providing an adequate response to the different needs that are associated with the practice of physical activity and its implication in the field of health and well-being. It is intended that with this course students may come to intervene in the prescription of exercise and organization of Exercise programs, either in gymnasiums and health clubs or in municipal councils and other institutions that promote physical exercise programs.