The University of Zagreb (1669) is the oldest and biggest university in South-Eastern Europe. As a comprehensive public Central European University, University of Zagreb offers education and research and in all scientific fields (arts, biomedicine, biotechnology, engineering, humanities, natural sciences and social sciences) and a broad spectrum of courses at all study levels, from undergraduate to postgraduate. With 29 Faculties, 3 Art Academies and the University Centre for Croatian Studies it is the flagship educational institution in the country, a place where more than 7900 teachers and 72480 students develop knowledge and acquire skills.
The University excels not only in teaching but also in research, contributing with over 50 percent to the annual research output in Croatia and 80 percent of scientific productivity of all Croatian universities. The central strategic issue of the future development of the University of Zagreb is for it to be a research-oriented institution with the teaching of high quality. Accordingly, the focus will be on master and doctoral programs, encompassing all fields of science and art, boosting transdisciplinarity and interdisciplinarity as well as translational research, nurturing the culture of innovation and transfer of knowledge. This should result in better intersectoral harmonization on local and regional levels.
The University of Zagreb is in the process of building a new Campus “Borongaj” which is the biggest investment in Croatian education in the last 150 years, and when it is built (finished) it will be used by more than 20 000 students. The Campus was officially opened on October 12th 2007 and for now, it hosts 4 university units: Centre for Croatian Studies, Faculty of Education and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Traffic Engineering and Faculty of Economics and Business (only vocational study programmes in economics and business). Five other faculties are also planning to relocate to the Campus in the next few years. Besides the (re)construction of university buildings, Campus will be home to a sports centre, student residence hall and a number of institutes.
Faculty of Agriculture is dedicated to the education of highly qualified experts, development and broadening of professional knowledge in the field of agriculture and related sciences. Applying the highest academic standards we enable students to acquire competencies based on the newest scientific knowledge, for the benefit of the society.
The Vision of the Faculty of Agriculture is to strategically position itself in Croatian higher education and research area, as well as an internationally recognised and acclaimed research and teaching institution.
The Core Values
- Knowledge, wisdom and humanity (“Cognitio, Sapientia, Humanitas“);
- Appreciation of the academic tradition wealth;
- Education based on new scientific knowledge and innovations as the greatest value provided for society;
- Regulations and procedures of the highest ethical standards in all activity areas;
- Continuous quality improvement in all activity areas;
- Freedom of expression and speech;
- Tolerance towards diversity;
- Social justice;
- Flexibility and adaptability.
- To ensure the efficiency of the organisation and management of the Faculty;
- To enable students, agricultural experts and all stakeholders in education high-quality education with reference to the acquisition of the latest scientific and professional knowledge and skills through quality study programmes and lifelong learning programmes;
- To increase the quality in all activity areas;
- To develop scientific excellence, innovation in research and collaboration with the business sector;
- To contribute to the sustainable development of the Croatian economy and society as a whole;
- To improve international cooperation in teaching and scientific-research area. To increase student mobility, visibility and recognition of the Faculty on all levels.
Programs taught in: