The Université Catholique de l’Ouest is 140 years old: originally a medieval university founded in 1373, it was later reopened in 1875 and has a current student population of 9,000.
The campus is situated in downtown Angers, a five-minute walk from the station and the nearest bus stops; it lies just minutes away from the main shopping area, restaurants, gardens, banks and administrative offices.
The university campus boasts an unusual architectural blend of old and contemporary buildings, standing in a 5-hectare park. Founded in 1875, the Université Catholique de l’Ouest is one of the oldest universities in Western France and is one of the important actors in Higher Education and research today. A multidisciplinary university with a worldview, it offers more than a hundred programs in 5 faculties:
- Human and Social Sciences
- Theology and Religious Sciences
The University in Figures
- 9,000 students including 1,700 foreign students and teachers who come to Angers each year to study.
- 187 full-time faculty and 1,500 professionals providing lectures as experts.
- 12 foreign languages taught.
- 10 multimedia language laboratories.
- 10 research laboratories.
- 170 partner universities around the world.
- 3 university libraries comprising some 200,000 books.
- 1 audiovisual center, multimedia rooms, WIFI access.
- 17 study areas.
- French national degrees.
- Guaranteed a personalized follow-up, small classes with individual supervision.
- High graduation rate: graduation rate for the bachelor three years of 67% (Compared to public universities 27%).
- A high rate of work placements.
- 170 partner universities around the world: credit transfers and validation of grades.
- Spiritual life: diverse activities offered by Catholic Campus Ministry.
- Student accommodation service: a wide choice of bedsits, home-stay or family accommodation, halls of residence or flats.
- 2 university restaurants within walking distance, food, and refreshments available on campus.
- Cultural activities and sports: drama society, international choir, film club as well as table-tennis, volleyball, basketball and more.
Clubs and associations
At UCO, the campus life is a great asset. Parties, cinema, and debates, sports (50 different sports available), music, theater, intercultural evenings, humanitarian projects, plenty of opportunities to get involved, be immersed in the French culture and have fun.
You can choose:
- Student residence (foyer), with half pension or full pension.
- Homestay (with or without meals).
On the UCO campus, a cafeteria is at your disposal. During the academic year, you also have access to the university restaurant situated in the town center (lunch and dinner, € 3.20 per meal).
Health & accessibility
The UCO campus is equipped with an infirmary, counseling services, and services for students with disabilities. The campus is accessible to students with disabilities.
- Program taught in French:
- DELF: level C1 for language training,
- Level B2 for all other programs or Level 4 TCF (except for French-speaking students).
- Program taught in English (Business and Economics): TOEFL score of 79 or higher / IELTS score of 6.0 or higher.
As a rule, unless you are exempt, you are required to have a visa to study in France. It must be applied for from the relevant French embassy or consulate in the applicant’s country of residence.
Health insurance is compulsory in France. Registration with the French health insurance and its payment (about 208 €) is to be done upon your arrival at the university in France.
UCO Angers - Catholic University of the West
49000 Angers, Pays de la Loire, France
UCO Laval - Catholic University of the West
Laval, Pays de la Loire, France
Nantes, Pays de la Loire, France
UCO Bretagne Nord - Catholic University of the West
Guingamp, Brittany, France
UCO Bretagne Sud - Catholic University of the West
56610 Vannes, Brittany, France
Pape'ete, Windward Islands, France
Saint-Denis, Saint-Denis, Reunion (Fr.)